Saturday, December 11, 2010

Under Siege, an Ally, and Infiltrators

I'm under attack. The squirrels are not happy creatures since their easy food supplies have been moved. I'm not so sure the kitchen window was the best place for the feeders though. It's definately harder for the squirrels to get to the feeders, but they're jumping from the patio, hanging from the roof, and climbing the electrical conduit. Fortunately, none of these attempts have been successful.



 
 
There are a few determined ones that have figured out that if they jump to the hose faucet first, then they can jump to the sunflower feeder. I'm amazed at how well the feeder hooks, which are attached to the windows by suction cups, hold with squirrels jumping on the feeders. Usually, I only have the tray feeder and the two plastic feeders in the window. Up until now, the squirrels have never bothered the feeders, but the feeders sure have brought the birds up close. I've gotten Blue Jays, Chickadees, Goldfinch, Rose-breasted Grossbeaks, Hairy Woodpeckers, Common Redpolls, Pine Siskins, and others, right up to the window. My favorite was seeing a Pileated Woodpecker at the tray feeder. The tray feeder makes it great for taking some nice close-up photos. I'll post some of mine in the near future. I usually keep peanuts in the shell and sunflower chips in the  window feeders. I get all my birdwatching and birdfeeding equipment at Wild Birds Unlimited. I don't think you can find better quality, value, or guarantee anywhere else.
I've gianed an ally, if half-hearted, in my battle with the squirrels. My wife, Chris, gets a kick out of rapping on the window frame or opening the garge door to scare the critters off. She's let me know, though, in no uncertain terms, this needs to end.
They've also infiltrated my garage and are trying to access the food stored there. They have chewed on some of the plastic containers, but the plastic cat litter pails seem to be holding up well. If those don't survive, I'll move up to metal trash cans.




I think the squirrels and I are pretty even right now, but they're gaining. It is definately time to move on to Phase II.

No comments:

Post a Comment