
The reason for this blog is so I can share some of my birding, nature, and other adventures here and around Duluth, MN. A friend asked if I would post some of my Hawk Ridge photos. Since I'm such a big fan of Hawk Ridge, raptors, and showing my pics, I couldn't say no.
This immature Bald Eagle was banded and released October, 2009. After the banders banded and recorded some statistical info, Hawk Ridge volunteers brought the bird up to the overlook to be adopted and released. Visitors to the ridge are given the opportunity to adopt the birds, which includes a photo with you and your bird, a certificate of adoption, updates on future sightings of your bird, and best of all, you get to release the bird.

Here's Debbie, Naturalist and Education Director at the ridge, getting ready to do a informational presentation on the eagle before the adoption and release. The cylinder that the bird is transported in, from the banders station to the overlook, is to keep the bird calm and keep it from injuring itself or the person tranporting it. Notice the talons on this bird.
Here's Debbie and Julie, Naturalist and Volunteer Coordinator at the ridge, showing the massive wingspan of this beautiful bird.
Andrew, official counter and observer, adopted this bird. Andrew has adopted more birds than any person I know of. Some have even called him the "Poster Boy of Adoption" at Hawk Ridge. Adopting birds supports the data collecting of the banding station and the educational events of the overlook.
One last look as the eagle flys off. If you get a chance, check out Hawk Ridge next fall. I gaurantee you won't regret it. If you live in the Duluth area you might want to check out volunteering. Not only do you get to see the birds, and learn about the birds, but you get the opportunity to handle the birds.
Andrew has a nice web sight of photos he's taken at Hawk Ridge, here's the link : http://www.birderguy.com




No comments:
Post a Comment